In this review, the ICAI/Agulhas team followed-up on reviews published in 2015 and 2016:
- DFID’s Efforts to Eliminate Violence Against Women and Girls
- Assessing DFID’s Results in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
- DFID’s Approach to Managing Fiduciary Risk in Conflict Affected Environments
- UK aid’s contribution to tackling tax avoidance and evasion
- How DFID works with multilateral agencies to achieve impact
The review found that DFID accepted the majority of ICAI’s recommendations and has taken positive action in a range of areas. The review highlights:
- Concrete steps to improve the sustainability and monitoring of results of water, sanitation and hygiene programmes, including measures to ensure that vulnerable groups, such as the elderly or people with disabilities, share in the benefits.
- New guidance on scaling up programming on violence against women and girls, and a stronger approach to sharing learning across the department on what works.
- Some significant improvements in DFID’s approach to managing the risks of fraud and corruption in insecure environments when delivering remotely through partners.
- Measures to improve UK support to developing countries in fighting international tax avoidance and evasion.
- Some progress towards a more strategic approach to strengthening the multilateral aid system.
Areas of Expertise
- Aid effectiveness