Evaluation of DFID’s programmes in Fragile States
An Agulhas team were invited to prepare the paper for DFID’s Policy Division to support the Department’s Comprehensive Spending Review submission and preparation for the 2006 White Paper on International Development.
The team reviewed the performance of DFID’s portfolio of activities in fragile states from 2000 to 2005 through the interrogation of performance data from management information systems. It presented a quantitative analysis of DFID’s projects and programmes in Fragile States by comparison with non-fragile states.
It addressed two broad questions:
- What had been the pattern of DFID engagement in FS?
- What variables affected the performance of projects in FS?
Areas of Expertise:
- Aid effectiveness
- Performance management and accountability
Conflict and fragility
- Conflict assessment and reduction
- Disaster preparedness
- State and institution building
- Human rights protection