Agulhas Applied Knowledge is a London-based consulting firm specialising in research, analysis and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) on international development, humanitarian assistance and sustainability. Since 2003, we have provided strategic advice on aid programmes and development policy to the UK government, other DAC countries, multilateral organisations, developing country governments, philanthropic foundations and NGOs. We specialise in strategic reviews and evaluations: for the past four years, we have led the consortium that supports the Independent Commission for Aid Impact to assure the quality of the UK’s international development co-operation. We also specialise in knowledge management, helping our clients to develop monitoring and evaluation systems, strengthen their organisational learning systems and improve the quality and value for money of their programming.
Our work is structured around two broad areas of practice:
- Climate change and sustainability
- Conflict, crisis and global challenges.
Across these areas, we specialise in:
- Assurance of impact and value for money
- Political economy
- Adaptive delivery
- Policy and strategy
- Good development practice
- Multilateral systems and finance
- Research and analysis
- Monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Knowledge management.
We have a close-knit team of 16 working from our canal-side office in Hoxton, London, and a wider network of fellows and associates around the world. The working environment is informal, but the intellectual pace challenging. We offer our staff the opportunity to work with leading thinkers in international development and apply their analytical skills to pressing global challenges.
About the position
We are seeking a senior manager who will help shape the next phase of Agulhas. You will have responsibility for growing current workstreams and developing new areas of work. You will manage diverse project teams working on a range of assignments across all areas of our work. You will help the Senior Management Team shape the direction of the company over the next 5 years. If successful, you will in due course join the Senior Management Team. The position falls in the £60-70K salary band, according to experience. The main place of work will be Agulhas’s London office, alongside the Regent’s Canal, in N1. We are a family-friendly organisation open to working from home for agreed days.
To succeed in this role, you will have a proven track record in the field of international development, with a particular focus on conflict, crises and global challenges. You will have the vision, ability and talent to help grow the company, both technically and through winning new work. You will be entrepreneurial, positive and energetic. In combination with strategic insight and management skills, you will bring a close attention to detail and a proven ability to deliver at a high work rate. You will have a strong, team-oriented work ethic with skills in managing and developing junior staff.
- You will have a track record in the fields of international development and/or humanitarian assistance.
- You will be a specialist in conflict, crises and global challenges, with in-depth knowledge of key topics, issues and debates in international development, and specialisms in at least two of the following areas:
- Peacebuilding and conflict reduction
- Post-conflict stabilisation
- Humanitarian and protection policy
- Migration, refugees and human trafficking
- Security and justice
- Countering violent extremism
- Anti-corruption and illicit financial flows.
- You will have a strong understanding of governance issues, with skills in political economy analysis, institution building, policy and strategy development, anti-corruption and organisational development.
- You will have the skills to develop research and evaluation methodologies to exacting standards.
- You will have an ability to manage and advise teams, including delegating tasks to junior team members and steering them to achieve high standards.
- You will have advanced writing skills, with the ability to present complex material in a clear, lively and engaging manner.
- You will be able to show an astute understanding of UK government and wider development policy, with the capacity engage in debate with senior peers and clients, and represent Agulhas at the highest levels.
- You will demonstrate an in-depth understanding of Agulhas’s company strategy, and in close collaboration with the Senior Management Team will contribute to the further development of the company’s business development strategy,
- You will initiate new business opportunities for Agulhas.
- You will manage and oversee the preparation of proposals, delegating inputs where required.
- You will write high-quality business plans for new opportunities and formulate strategies to execute them.
- You will approach potential new clients and pitch new ideas.
- You will have the capacity to build new service lines based on Agulhas’s in-house and associate expertise and experience.
- You will show a high level of competency in designing and/or quality assuring project plans, methodologies, resource inputs, budget elements and workplans for large-scale projects.
- You will be accountable for all elements of project delivery.
- You will manage diverse project teams, incorporating staff, consultants and partner organisations with a range of different skillsets.
- You will formulate risk-management approaches, including appropriate mitigations and monitoring all risks throughout the course of project implementation.
- You will engage with clients through the delivery of all milestones/deliverables, ensuring delivery against agreed timelines and to a high standard.
- You will ensure that company policies and procedures are implemented across all projects and teams that you manage.
- You will ensure project design and delivery is consistent with Agulhas core standards.
- You will show excellent and demonstrable negotiation skills with project teams and clients.
- You will formulate client strategy and manage large-scale accounts or high value programmes.
- You will take a strategic approach to client interactions and account management, delegating authority on key issues to junior staff.
- You will provide regular, succinct reports to the Senior Management Team.
- You will support other Agulhas team members on client strategy and client interactions.
- You will attend and contribute meaningfully in business-critical meetings on any Agulhas client account, representing Agulhas in the most senior forums.
- You will run and resolve difficult negotiations with clients.
The following behavioural standards are expected in this senior role. You will:
- Model Agulhas’s organisational values.
- Display the highest standards of public conduct.
- Identify, disclose and manage conflicts of interest when they become apparent to yourself and others.
- Treat others justly and fairly.
- Maintain high standards of skill, care and diligence in professional activities.
- Invest time in learning and personal development.
- Take responsibility for your own performance and behaviour.
- Act as an advocate for Agulhas, both internally and externally.
- Be goal orientated, prioritising activities accordingly under guidance from the Senior Management Team.
- Set challenging but achievable goals and standards of performance for yourself and others.
- Learn from successes and mistakes and encourage the culture of learning in the organisation.
- Be willing to disagree and take an independent stance in the face of dissenting views.
- Encourage rigorous discussion and diverse views in order to prevent and dispel ‘groupthink’.
- Adopt an inquisitive approach and actively question assumptions and test propositions.
- Be willing to challenge the status quo and historical ways of doing things.
Be self aware
- Demonstrate social and cultural awareness and an ability to relate well to a diverse range of people.
- Support colleagues and exhibit loyalty to the team and the company.
- Display empathy and respond appropriately and sensitively to the emotions of others.
- Demonstrate efforts to explore, understand and limit your own biases and preconceptions as well as those of others.
- We are looking for 12+ years experience in the sector.
- Be willing to undertake short periods of travel, and to follow duty-of-care protocols in insecure environments (up to 10% travel, mostly for short trips).
- Have the right to work in the UK.
- Knowledge of other languages is an advantage.
Please send a CV (maximum length 4 pages) and covering letter to email@example.com titled “Senior Manager”, outlining your interest and relevant experience by 30th August 2019.