Agulhas Applied Knowledge is a London-based consulting firm specialising in research, analysis, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) on international development and sustainability. We provide strategic advice on aid programmes and development policy to the UK government, other DAC countries, multilateral organisations, developing country governments, philanthropic foundations and NGOs. We specialise in strategic reviews and evaluations: for the past three years, we have led the consortium that provides evaluation services to the UK’s Independent Commission for Aid Impact. Agulhas have also worked with diverse clients including bilateral donors, international organisations, NGOs, academia, companies and foundations. We also specialise in knowledge management, helping our clients to develop monitoring and evaluation systems, strengthen their organisational learning systems and improve the quality and value for money of their programming.
Our work covers a broad range of development sectors and thematic areas, with workstreams in:
- Governance, institutional change and political economy analysis
- Conflict reduction, humanitarian policy and tackling global security challenges
- Climate change and sustainability, including promoting ethical and sustainable business
- International development policy, aid coordination and multilateral processes.
We have a close-knit team of 12 working from our canal-side office in Hoxton, London, and a wider network of fellows and associates around the world. The working environment is informal but the intellectual pace challenging. We offer our staff the opportunity to work with leading thinkers in international development and apply their analytical skills to pressing global challenges.
About the position
We are seeking a full-time junior analyst with skills and experience in international development to join our London team. You will be assigned to project teams working on a range of assignments across all areas of our work. The position falls in the £23-30K salary band, according to experience. Place of work is Agulhas London office.
To succeed in this role, you are likely to have well-developed research and critical thinking skills, with a broad understanding of current issues in international development.
You should have a talent for collecting and analysing both quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources. You should be an excellent communicator, both in writing and verbally, able to present complex ideas clearly and succinctly, and advance and defend arguments.
You will be an excellent team player with a proactive and enthusiastic approach to work, the maturity to interact with clients and partners, and able to take on a wide variety of tasks with a “can-do” attitude.
- At least a bachelor-level degree in a relevant subject with demonstrable research and analytical skills
- 2+ years’ work experience in international development or other area with transferrable skills, such as public service or academia
- Experience in an international or cross-cultural context
- Familiarity with key concepts, practices and debates in the international development field
- Competency at using variety of standard computer and cloud-based software packages (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite) as well as social media.
- An ability to undertake a range of research and analytical tasks, including literature reviews, conducting interviews, interpreting statistics and analysing documents.
- Analysing patterns in data sets
- Presenting quantitative and qualitative analysis both in writing and orally in ways that are accessible and useful to the team
- Demonstrated ability to produce quality written outputs.
- Familiarity with a range of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, and an understanding of basic monitoring and evaluation concepts
- A lively interest in global issues and policy debates
- An ability to work innovatively, showing a flexible, adaptive mind-set
- Ability to deliver work to a tight timeline.
- Supporting teams to deliver projects against a budget and timetable
- Providing administrative support, including logistics and back-office duties (incl. travel and meeting room bookings, diary management, visa applications etc)
- Liaising with partners and clients as requested by the project manager
- Taking minutes from meetings
- Drafting, editing, proofing and formatting of project documents, and preparing presentations, tables and diagrams
- Support with identifying team members for projects and bringing them on board
- Day-to-day maintenance and management of the website, twitter, other social media, delegating tasks to others (e.g. interns) as appropriate
- Managing the in-house opportunity tracking system
- Supporting proposal writing
- Attending external events and conferences, and participating in business development meetings with potential clients.
- Effective team work, including supporting other team members
- Ability to interact positively with clients – behaving professionally and competently on all issues
- Willingness to undertake short periods of travel to developing countries, and to follow duty-of-care protocols in insecure environments (up to 20% travel, mostly for short trips)
- A proactive work ethic with an ability to manage competing priorities and strong time-management skills
- Strong emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- The right to work in the UK.
- A period of time working (paid or volunteering) in developing countries in the international development or humanitarian sector
- Experience on graphic design packages such as In-Design
- Knowledge or experience of foundations, civil societies or NGOs
- Experience in an area relevant to Agulhas’s work (e.g. climate and environment, humanitarian issues, gender equality)
- Fluency in a second language an advantage
Please send a CV (maximum length 2 pages) and covering letter to email@example.com titled “ANALYST”, outlining your interest and relevant experience by 10th January 2019. Initial interviews will be the week commencing the 14th January.