In this review, the ICAI/Agulhas team assessed the contribution of UK International Climate Finance to promoting low-carbon development in developing countries. This part of the portfolio supports developing countries to shift to a development pathway that minimises emissions while still meeting their developmental goals.
The review gave the ICF’s approach to low-carbon development a green-amber. It found that the UK’s International Climate Finance shows a convincing approach to promoting low-carbon development and has made a strong commitment to joint international action.
The review made the following recommendations:
- UK ICF should refresh its strategy, including a clear approach to promoting low-carbon development and to integrating low-carbon development principles across the UK aid programme.
- DFID should adopt a more structured and deliberate approach to integrating low-carbon development across its programming.
- UK ICF should present a clear public narrative about the ambition and value of the UK’s climate investment.
Areas of expertise:
- Aid effectiveness
- Performance management and accountability
- Aid architecture
- Resilience and sustainability
- Policy response to climate change
Media coverage: The Sun