Congo Basin Forest Fund Governance study
The project supported the establishment of the GBP50m Fund, which seeks to mitigate the impact of climate change in the Congo Basin.
The purpose of the Congo Basin Forest Fund is:
- To slow the rate of deforestation in the Congo Basin
- To provide support mechanisms which conserve forests
- To maintain benefit to local communities.
The Fund, primed with UK money allocated by the Prime Minister, is a partnership between African stakeholders such as COMIFAC and the AfDB, and donors.
This consultancy was commissioned to:
- Inform DFID’s thinking on the Fund governance structure, posing key issues and risks for consideration, as well as highlighting best practice issues based on other multi-country global funding mechanisms.
- Consider current proposals for the Fund and make recommendations on them, including for transitional arrangements.
- Recommend decision-making responsibilities for approval of the Fund’s projects and disbursement of funds in the start-up phase.
- Assist DFID with its discussion on the permanent governance structure.
Areas of Expertise
- Aid effectiveness
Climate change and sustainability
- Climate resilience and clean energy
- Policy response to climate change
- Migration and other climate impacts
- Institutional change and capacity building