Agulhas Applied Knowledge is a London-based consulting firm specialising in research, analysis, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) on international development and sustainability. We provide strategic advice on aid programme and development policy to the UK government, other donor countries, multilateral organisations, developing country governments, philanthropic foundations and NGOs. We specialise in strategic reviews and evaluations: for the past three years, we have led the consortium that provides evaluation services to the UK’s Independent Commission for Aid Impact, and have also worked with diverse clients including the African Development Bank. We also specialise in knowledge management, helping our clients to develop monitoring and evaluation systems, strengthen their organisational learning systems and improve the quality and value for money of their programming.
Our work covers a broad range of development sectors and thematic areas, with work streams in:
- Governance, institutional change and political economy analysis
- Conflict reduction, humanitarian policy and tackling global security challenges
- Climate change and sustainability, including promoting ethical and sustainable business
- International development policy, aid coordination and multilateral processes.
We have a close-knit team of 12 working from our canal-side office in Hoxton, London, and a wider network of fellows and associates around the world. The working environment is informal but the intellectual pace is challenging. We offer our staff the opportunity to work with leading thinkers in international development and apply their analytical skills to pressing global challenges. The position will report to the Technical Director, Marcus Cox.
About the position
We are seeking a full-time experienced analyst with skills and experience in international development to join our team as a Fellow based in our London office. You will be assigned to project teams working on a range of assignments across all areas of our work, but with a particular focus on the social sectors, poverty reduction, livelihoods and economic growth. The position falls in our £35-45K salary band and will be subject to experience.
To succeed in this role, you are likely to have outstanding research and critical thinking skills, with a broad understanding of the current issues in international development. You will have excellent knowledge and insight of the relevant policy environment.
You will have a talent for providing thoughtful, innovative analysis, you will be able to articulate your ideas succinctly, as well as representing Agulhas persuasively to a range of external stakeholders. You will be an excellent communicator both in writing and verbally.
You will be a strategic thinker with the capacity both to delegate tasks and step-in to support other team members, demonstrating an inclusive and respectful approach to working in teams that may have a range of different experiences and competencies.
- An advanced degree in the social sciences
- 6 – 9 years’ work experience in international development, ideally with a period of time working in developing countries
- An ability to interpret and represent statistics, and analyse trends in economic and social development
- Demonstrable experience with monitoring and evaluation approaches, and competence in qualitative and quantitative research methodology design
- Experience of adopting innovative approaches and a flexible, adaptive mind-set
- Fluency with key concepts, practices and debates in the international development field
- Proven ability to:
- Critically assess evidential sources
- Reach, argue and defend evidence-based conclusions
- Produce high quality, client-ready written work.
In addition to the delivery of projects, you will be expected to support Agulhas with project management, client relationships and business development. You should be able to demonstrate an ability to:
- Manage the delivery of projects against a budget and timetable
- Work effectively within teams, including supporting other team members
- Interact with clients professionally and competently, on both substantive and project management issues
- Participate in business development, including identifying new opportunities and supporting the preparation of proposals
- Attend high level meetings with key stakeholders including government officials or senior experts in partner organisations, and attend other relevant sector presentations and engagements
- Ability and willingness to travel to and within developing countries, some of which may be affected by violent conflict (up to 20% travel)
- A proactive work ethic combined with an ability to manage competing priorities and strong time management skills
- Right to work in the UK
- Strong emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- A working knowledge of how DFID and other government departments operate
- Knowledge or experience of other bilateral or multilateral government / donor agencies (e.g. UN, EC, World Bank)
- Knowledge or experience of foundations, civil societies or NGOs
- Thematic expertise in an area relevant to Agulhas’s work (e.g. migration, climate and environment, humanitarian, gender)
- Fluency in a second language, e.g. Arabic or French
Please send a CV (maximum length 3 pages) and covering letter to email@example.com outlining your interest and relevant experience by 13th December. Initial interviews will be on the 18th or 19th December.